The Gulf Coast State College Foundation has an established relationship with the College’s Writing and Reading Lab. Any scholarship applicant can use the Lab’s tutorial resources to help with writing answers to the application essay questions. The Lab’s staff will assist in helping applicants with composition development, organization, mechanics, editing, grammar and punctuation. All of this is free of charge.
It is important to note that over 60% of a scholarship application’s score comes from the answers to the essay questions. The Lab’s services are free and open to all scholarship applicants – even high school students. The College’s Writing and Reading Lab is located in the Rosenwald Classroom Building in rooms 108 and 110. No appointments are necessary; however, lab hours and tutor availability may vary. If you have questions, please contact the Lab at [email protected] or (850) 769-1551 ext. 1022.
Application Essay Questions
The Foundation’s general application will have two essay questions that are required to be answered in order to be considered for a general and endowed scholarship. Here are the 2024 general application questions:
- In 500 words or less, why do you want to receive a college education?
- In 250 words or less, what do you think will make you successful in college?
There is also a summer application designed for students who want to take summer 2024 classes. Here are the summer application essay questions:
- Why are you attending summer sessions?
- In 250 words or less: how do you define success?
Remember These Tips for Better Essay Writing
- Start early. Do not write your essay answer at the last minute.
- Take your time.
- Take a deep breath.
- Do not hurry.
- Write in small sections. You don’t have to finish everything all at once.
- Refrain from using “texting” formatting. Do not use acronyms or all capital letters.
- Write and share your thoughts. Tell the scoring committee members about yourself.
- Have your essay answer reviewed and critiqued by a third party (GCSC writing lab staff, English or Language and Literature instructor, mentor, teacher, guidance counselor, advisor or family member).
- Do not write your essay answer at the last minute (sorry can’t say this enough)!
As a bonus, the Foundation has put together some examples of good essay answers and some not so good essay answers. Please use these for instructional purposes and do not copy or plagiarize.
A Conversation with Scoring Team Members
Former Writing and Reading Lab Director, Grant Deam, met with two veteran members of the GCSC scholarship scoring team, Chairman Ben Schmidt and Melissa Bois, to discuss how they review and score a scholarship essay answer.
GCSC Foundation Scholarships by Commodore Conversations
Dunkin McLane and Kara Gray of the Gulf Coast State College Foundation discuss scholarship opportunities and the scholarship opportunities and the scholarship application process. Learn how the GCSC Foundation and the Writing and Reading Lab can help earn you money for school. Click to listen.